Monday, January 3, 2011

musical autobiography

Though I was born into a family of Western Art musicians, I wasn’t as exposed to Western Art music as much as I was exposed to popular music. I grew up listening to classic rock. My favorite band as a child was Styx, and my parents fulfilled my childhood dream when they took me to a free Styx concert in Jacksonville, Florida, when I was just five years old. The concert was one of the very first things I remember about my life. My parents exposed to a new form of expression through music, even though they just thought they were making a little girl’s dreams of seeing her favorite band come true. I will never forget how happy and completely carefree I felt as I sat on my dad’s shoulders listening to my favorite music. I’ve been addicted to attending live shows ever since.

Just two years later when I was about seven, my parents took my sister and I to a small venue in our hometown of Columbia, SC. One of my dad’s coworkers had invited us to come see her husband play a show with his banjo. He had just won first place in the National Bluegrass Banjo Competition. I remember feeling extremely out of place; most of the people at the concert were 35-year-old balding males with beer guts and trucker hats. I also remember being quite perplexed when I heard the first sounds coming from the banjo. I didn’t really like it at first. I had never heard anything like that before. As the concert went on, the sound grew on me a little (I still didn’t care much for it), but I became really impressed as I watched and listened as the fast finger pickings got faster and faster. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen, and I decided then that I wanted to be that good at playing an instrument one day.

When I was around the same age, or a little younger, I liked to watch a lot of movies. My favorite movie as a kid was The Nightmare Before Christmas. Even as a child, I loved the music of the movie. I distinctly remember performing one of the songs, “Jack’s Lament,” for my grandparents on my little Fisher-Price tape player with the microphone. Ever since I fell in love with the music of that movie, I have been extremely interested in film music, and I have remained a big fan of Danny Elfman (the composer of Nightmare).

One of my more recent encounters with music outside the Western Art world was just last year. The summer before last, I dedicated all my time learning how to play the acoustic guitar I had for years but never touched. I learned just by playing cover songs, and I put my own spin on each one. When I got back to school last year, a couple of my friends who run the Garden Variety club at Converse talked to me about doing a concert to raise money for an organization GoGlobal. I agreed to participate, and in April of last year, I stepped on the stage with my guitar and my voice and performed for people for the first time. I sang cover songs, so, not only was I worried about singing badly and messing up the chords, but I was worried that I would forget the words to the songs that I knew the audience would know. It was an extremely scary thing for me to do, but it was incredibly exhilarating. It is definitely something I would do again, but I do hope that it’s a little less nerve-wracking next time.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for stepping out there--it's great. And I'm so surprised that you initially had little love for the banjo. I guess there is something to the whole notion of "acquired tastes." And your story about the Styx concert reminds me of taking Tally to hear the Indigo Girls on her 4th birthday. She got to hang out in the mosh pit and everything!

    ReplyDelete