On last week's round of cool stuff, Maggie Haggerty mentioned a band called Vampire Weekend. They use African-like sounds in their indie pop/rock music. Here's the song "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" (one of my favorite, but one of their least-African sounding songs).
Catchy, isn't it? Well if you know anything about my music tastes, you probably know that I really like cover songs. So, one day, I was on a search for Vampire Weekend covers, and I found a band called The Very Best. It's a band of two people - a singer from Malawi and a London based DJ. Their first album was a compilation. I think you might recognize this tune...
The whole compilation album is pretty neat, so if you like it you should definitely check it out.
Now, thanks to the flu, I was out the last couple of days, of class, so I really have no idea what to post. However, it looks like some people have posted things about Latin American music. So here's a combination of the two; a guy explaining the African roots in Latin American music.
And finally, just because this was the first thing I thought of when I saw people posting about Latin American music (yes, it's sad, I know)...
ah. Nothing like a trip down memory lane.
Thank you! For reminding me of how enthralled I was with Ricky Martin as a child. It's not all that sad, right?
ReplyDeleteI LOVED the cover of "Cape Cod." The added vocals and African inspiration was great and both are very catchy. Great find!
Also - if you're into covers, compilations and the slightly obscure, check out Thievery Corporation. I'd recommend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxq_lZWxVc
Thank you for introducing me to Vampire Weekend. I had never heard them before, but I have heard of them. I really liked "Cape Cod"! The video with the gentleman teaching about Latin American music is very informative. It is always nice to be reminded of Rick Martin. I remeber a time when every time I would walk into Best Buy they would be playing that song and I would have it stuck in my head right until I would end up going back to Best Buy!
ReplyDeleteEven though "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" is one of Vampire Weekend's "least African-sounding songs," it is still very easy to tell it has African roots. The drumming is so distinct, and that's further reiterated in the cover song. Also, I thought it was funny how Ybarra had no clue how to play the quisa! It's nice to know even professional musicians don't know everything about music, but it looked really neat. And I love taking trips down memory lane. Remember Gloria Estefan's "Conga?"
ReplyDeleteLove the cover tune. Have you ever run into Me First and the Gimme Gimmes? LOTS of great cover tunes, totally redone.
ReplyDeleteAlso a bit on the late side, yes?