Sunday, January 16, 2011

music and gender.

The differences with music and gender have been most apparent to me through marching band. In my high school band, the only all female section in the entire band was the piccolo section. Because the section was all girls, the rest of the band often thought we were weak and not hard working. When I became section leader, I strived to push the section as hard as I could so the other sections would stop stereotyping the piccolos. I wanted to prove that we worked just as hard as any other section, even though we were all girls.

It’s hard to compare the all-female piccolo section to an all-male section simply because we never had an all male section in my high school band. Even the sections that would be expected to have all boys - the tubas, the drumline - had at least one girl. However, I did notice that many of the girls in the sections mostly comprised of boys took on some male characteristics. For example, in the drumline, all members (the girls included) had this “I’m cooler than you” demeanor. On the other hand, the tubas members were under the impression that they were tougher than anyone else in the band. It is interesting how the opinions students had about themselves and their instruments within a section were similar, despite gender, but the opinions the students had about other sections were different, sometimes because of gender.

I think there are very clear challenges with music and gender. I think many people feel confined as to what instruments they can play based on the instrumental stereotypes. A flute’s sound is light, beautiful, and high; therefore, it is a girl’s instrument. A tuba is deep, bold, and low, and, as a result, is a boy’s instrument. You also rarely see a female stand up bass play or a female rock drummer. The challenges with gender and instrumental stereotypes are really unfortunate. Females and males should be able to play whatever instrument they are attracted to without facing heat from other people. However, I really don’t know what people can do to change these stereotypes. Stereotypes are hard habits to break - especially when it comes to gender.

4 comments:

  1. You are right about the stereo-types. I have come across this too. Even in my music class I felt like I had to compete to keep up with the "boy pianist" in the piano studio I was in. We were both taking the same exam and I felt pressured to compete with him. I think female musicians feel this kind of pressure even today. Sometimes we find ourselves in situations where we feel that we have to work that much harder to achieve the same goal as men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back so many marching band memories, haha. For some reason I didn't think of gender much in the band. I mean, I thought about it some because we were the only all-girl section, but other than that it wasn't a big deal to me. I never really considered someone not working hard just because of their gender. But I'm glad that you pushed us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so true that people in certain sections tend to have the same attitudes. It's interesting that you pointed out that a lot of times we're not judged so much by our gender, but by the instruments that we play. Even though flutes and clarinets are predominately played by girls, I have to admit, I've noticed different stereotypes associated with each of these sections. And your description of the drumline cracks me up, because that's definitely what our drumline was like at my high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some good thoughts, Kristen--especially your final line: "Stereotypes are hard habits to break." Sadly, too true.

    This blog is rather late, yes? Alas.

    ReplyDelete